The Home windows Registry Editor is an especially highly effective device for skilled customers and permits them to make a number of modifications and implement new performance on their PCs. Nonetheless, it will possibly change into a large legal responsibility within the fingers of a novice as a result of any false step can mess up your Home windows set up. So that can assist you stop your folks or colleagues from messing up your pc, right here’s how one can disable and re-enable the Registry Editor in your Home windows 10 pc.
Table of Contents
- Disable Entry to Home windows Registry on Your Laptop (June 2021)
- Simply Change Off Registry Editor on Your Home windows 10 PC
Disable Entry to Home windows Registry on Your Laptop (June 2021)
Right here, we’ll present you 3 methods to disable entry to the Registry in your Home windows 10 pc. We’ll use the Native Group Coverage Editor (gpedit) and the Registry Editor (regedit) itself to disable the Home windows Registry in your system. We will even present you easy methods to re-enable entry to the Home windows Registry Editor whenever you lastly get your PC again. Do word that the strategies beneath apply to Home windows 10, Home windows 8, and Home windows 7.
Disable Registry Editor in Home windows 10 Utilizing Group Coverage
Be aware: Group Coverage Editor is just not formally obtainable in Home windows 10 House. Nonetheless, you’ll be able to nonetheless allow Group Coverage Editor on Home windows 10 House by following our detailed information linked herein.
1. First off, open the Native Group Coverage Editor. To do this, use the Home windows keyboard shortcut Win + R concurrently to open the Run dialog field. You may as well seek for “Run” within the Home windows Search Bar. Now kind “gpedit.msc” within the Run window and hit Enter or “OK” to open the Group Coverage Editor.
2. Within the Group Coverage Editor window, transfer to the next path utilizing the left sidebar:
Consumer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System. In the precise pane, double-click on the entry that claims “Stop entry to registry modifying instruments“.
3. On the following window, choose “Enabled” and hit Apply or OK. Lastly, reboot your PC for the modifications to take impact.
4. Now, whenever you attempt to entry the Registry Editor (regedit) in your Home windows 10 PC, you’ll get an error message, as seen beneath.
Enabling this feature on one account will apply the modifications to all customers on that pc, together with Admin accounts. Do word that you should be signed in from an Admin account within the first place to have the ability to use the trick above. When you disable the registry editor, nobody utilizing that PC can entry the characteristic. You possibly can, nonetheless, simply undo the modifications by following the steps beneath.
Disable Entry Utilizing Home windows Registry
Be aware: Tweaking the Registry Editor is fraught with hazard. It’s advisable to allow and create a System Restore level earlier than making any modifications.
1. Firstly, open the Home windows Registry Editor. To do this, seek for “regedit” within the Home windows Search Bar and click on on the primary end result.
2. Within the Registry Editor window, use the left sidebar to navigate to the next key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USERSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPolicies. Now right-click on “Insurance policies” and choose New -> Key from the menu. Title the brand new key “System” (with out quotes) and hit Enter.
3. Subsequent, choose the newly-created System folder (click on on it) if it’s not chosen already. In the precise pane, right-click on the empty house and select New -> DWORD (32-bit) Worth. Title the brand new key “DisableRegistryTools” (with out quotes) and press Enter.
4. Now double-click on the brand new DWORD and change its hexadecimal worth from 0 to 1 or 2 (verify beneath to see what the values imply). Click on on “OK” to avoid wasting modifications and reboot your PC for these modifications to take impact.
Listed here are the DisableRegistryTools values:
0 – Registry Editor enabled
1 – Registry Editor solely works in ‘silent mode’ utilizing the /s change whereas within the command immediate
2 – Registry Editor disabled, can’t be began usually or silently
Do word that this coverage is restricted to the present person account solely. You’ll have to repeat the method for each person on a PC if you wish to implement the coverage for all customers. Additionally, don’t use the worth “2” when you do not need entry to the Group Coverage Editor. Re-enabling the characteristic, in that case, will contain some extent of complexity, as you’ll now see.
Re-enable Registry Editor on Home windows 10
Technique 1: Utilizing Group Coverage
To re-enable the Home windows Registry utilizing the next technique, you need to sign up from an Administrator account.
Open the Group Coverage Editor and go to
Consumer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System as described earlier. Now double-click on “Stop entry to registry modifying instruments” in the precise pane and select “Not Configured“. Then, click on on OK or Apply to avoid wasting the modifications.
That’s it. Now you can entry the Registry Editor in your Home windows 10 pc once more.
After getting disabled the Registry Editor, you may as well re-enable it utilizing the Home windows Command Immediate. Right here’s the way you go about it:
1. Open Notepad and duplicate+paste the next code:
Home windows Registry Editor Model 5.00. Now put it aside as a registry file (.reg) by hitting the “File -> Save as” choice. You possibly can identify the file something you need, however for the aim of this demo, I’m naming it “EnableRegEdit.reg“.
2. Now, open the Command Immediate in Admin mode. To do this, seek for “command immediate” within the Home windows Search Bar and click on on the “Run as Administrator“.
3. Then, run the next command:
cd C:Customers[username]Desktop to navigate to the trail of the Reg file. Keep in mind to make use of the precise location of your file. If it’s in your desktop, the file location will more than likely be the identical as mine, however don’t neglect to make use of your personal username within the command.
4. Subsequent up, copy+paste the next command to allow the Registry and press Enter:
regedit.exe /s EnableRegEdit.reg
That’s it! Your DisableRegistryTools DWORD worth will now revert from 1 to 0, and you need to regain entry to the Registry Editor.
Simply Change Off Registry Editor on Your Home windows 10 PC
Now that you understand how to allow or disable entry to the Registry Editor in your Home windows 10 PC, you are able to do that whereas handing over your system to somebody with out having to fret about them messing it up. Nonetheless, the Home windows Registry is a robust device, so keep in mind to be cautious everytime you do something with it. In the meantime, when you plan on lending your PC to somebody, you also needs to discover ways to password shield recordsdata and folders on Home windows 10. So go forward, observe our tutorials to enhance your privateness and safeguard your system whereas sharing your pc with others.